Made Up in Boston

"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." -Oscar Wilde

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sephora Goodies and Banana Republic Shopping Haul

The nature of this post is nothing more than shameless excitement over materialistic consumerism.

I went shopping!

Recently my husband and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary, and as part of my gift, he gave me a Sephora gift card. I've been dying for some new eyeshadows but I've been reluctant to purchase any because I just recently finished graduate school and I'm very aware of my finances.

I had originally intended to get the Urban Decay Naked Palette, but seeing as it is perpetually sold out (and I don't have enough patience to order it online), that plan was a bust. Fortunately my aisle wandering paid off and I discovered that Stila also makes a neutrals eyeshadow palette. After spending a few minutes playing with the Stila shadows and comparing them to the tester Naked Palette, I decided both were amazing but the colors in the Stila palette were calling my name (except for UD "Toasted"; that shade WILL BE MINE ASAP).

I also grabbed a NARS shadow duo in Kuala Lumpur, partly because I just loved the name!
Top row (L to R): Bare, Kitten, Bliss, Sunset, Sandstone
Bottom row (L to R): Champagne, Gilded Gold, Luster, Night Sky, Ebony
(The palette also came with a waterproof Smudge Stick eyeliner in Damsel (a deep black-brown), and a MUA Look Book that shows you how to create different looks).
The shadows are so buttery and smooth and apply like a dream. They range from highly pigmented (Kitten, Champagne, Sunset, and Night Sky) to very subtle and smokey (Sandstone, Ebony, and Luster).
(With flash)
(Natural Light)
NARS Kuala Lumpur shadow duo
Kuala Lumpur is my first NARS purchase, and I have to admit I'm a little obsessed with it. The shadow duo was part of the Spring '10 collection and I believe it was supposed to be limited edition (?). The reviews on this palette are mixed because when swatched dry the color payoff is very soft. When dry, it creates a soft gold-peachy-pink smokey eye. When wet, however, the color payoff is much more intense.
(Swatched wet in both photos)
The berry tones in the burgundy shadow are very apparent, and the salmon and gold undertones of the lighter shadow are unmistakable. The shadows themselves are a bit chalky and unusual in texture when dry, but the colors are so darn pretty and I don't care. The duo is much easier to use when wet; the shadows are silky and slightly oily so they spread wonderfully.

I also picked up a few items from Banana Republic. My  professional wardrobe was in desperate need of revamping, and I purposefully picked out items that can transition nicely from work to play. It also helped that Banana Republic is having one of its insane sales right now, and thanks to a handy dandy gift card, I only paid $6 for everything I picked up!

First up is a cute little t-shirt. The fabric is super soft, clingy, and stretchy, so it'll look great under a cardigan for work, or on its own with a cute skirt or pants for a night out. The design is unusual in that it isn't your basic cotton t-shirt. The fabric is iridescent and quite sparkly without being obnoxious. It's a neutral taupe color with a lilac-hued tulle trim. So comfy!


(Original price: $35. Sale price: $21)
Next is a silky olive green-grey dress top. There are ruffles and draping all over the place with this shirt, but somehow it works. It looks lovely across the shoulders and flatters my waist like nothing! This is my favorite of my purchases. 
(Originally price: $45. Sale price: $27).
I also picked up a sweet little chartreuse top with a ruffled neckline and shoulders. It hits just below the waist and screams "summer!" to me.
(Original Price: $20. Sale price: $13)
And finally, I fell in love with this grey wrap dress. It features 3/4 sleeves and comes to my knees. It's work appropriate with a tank underneath, and fun and flirty for a night on the town with some heels.
(Original price: $36 (on sale). Sale price (w/ additional 40% off): $21).
I haven't gone shopping in quite some time, so I really enjoyed this little haul (w/ a special "Thank You!" to my wonderful husband for spoiling me). Of course, now it means I should (in theory) clean out some of the products in my makeup bag and closet to make way for the new stuff. But I can get to that later ;)

Are you a fan of Stila or Nars? Where do you shop for clothing (work or fun?). How often do you clean out your makeup products or closets?




No comments:

Post a Comment