Made Up in Boston

"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." -Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Scarlett Johansson Inspired FOTD

I'll open this post with one of my favorite celebrity makeup looks, courtesy of Ms. Scarlett Johansson. Enjoy:

To be sure, this is a far departure from what I would normally consider aesthetically pleasing for the following reasons: 1. I don't care for the dramatic eyes and lips combo; you should do one or the other, and never both! 2. Orange is far from my favorite color, and 3. This is a lot of slap, way more than I would ever typically wear, especially during the day. But for whatever reason, I keep coming back to this look. Scarlett can definitely pull it off. God, isn't she just perfection? She always look amazing.

Today I finally decided to see how a similar look would work on me. Inspired, I played around with my enormous makeup stash and created my own dramatic look. However, instead of attempting orange eyes and lips, I adhered to the cooler colors my skin tone requires and stuck to assorted shades of pink (thereby avoiding a clown makeup disaster of "Jersey Shore" proportions!).


Check out these hot pink lips!

And a more detailed picture of the eyeshadow:

And the incredible number of products it took to create this look:

  • Revlon CS Foundation
  • Bare Minerals Foundation
  • E.L.F. Studio Contouring Blush and Bronzer duo
  • Inglot shadow #450
  • MAC Honey Lust
  • Clinique e/s quad in Pink Chocolate
  • Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips for hazel eyes
  • E.L.F. Studio Cream Liner and brush
  • L'Oreal Voluminous macara in Carbon Black
  • Revlon l/s in Cherries in the Snow
  • L'Oreal l/s in Gilded Pink
  • Rimmel Moisture Renew l/g in Rose Cocoon
  • E.L.F. Studio Powder Brush
  • Bare Escentuals Full Flawless Face Foundation Brush
In the end, I think the eyes are the better, more wearable part of this combo. It's definitely outside of my normal neutral color zone, but it's not so obnoxious that I'd worry about looking strange if I were to wear this outside. The lips are nice, but ultimately too much for me, at least when paired with a brighter, more colorful eye. I'll definitely try this lip with a simple winged eye, though!

Are you guilty of duping celebrity makeup looks? Which celebrity most inspires you to look your absolute best? And finally, how much makeup do you wear a day? Full face or simple basics?

1 comment:

  1. Love love love this look. You can definitely pull it off... just maybe not during the day :) I think it would be fabulous on a night out.
    As to your question, no, I never look at celebrity looks - I do the same thing every day, and I have 2 night looks :)

    ReplyDelete