Made Up in Boston

"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." -Oscar Wilde

Monday, June 6, 2011

What's In My Travel Makeup Bag?

Next Saturday my husband and I are going to Tel Aviv for two weeks. I've never been to Israel before, so naturally I'm bouncing around with excitement at the realization that in five days I'll be hanging out next to the Mediterranean!

Of course, international travel requires some planning, especially when it comes to what products I'm going to bring with me.

Now I have no intention of schlepping around the Holy Land with my entire stash of makeup, but I do want to bring enough stuff with me that I can have some variety in my day to day look. I also don't want to bring my more expensive or LE products with me, so the MAC and other department store brands stay at home, and a virtual Target store comes with me in my carryon.

So what makes the cut? Read on to find out!

First, this is my trusty travel makeup bag:
Isn't it cute? It's so girly and Mod at the same time. I chose a vinyl bag after a horrible mishap in which a bottle of foundation exploded all over my favorite Prada nylon makeup bag (that alone should teach me that designer makeup bags = a giant ripoff). Things that clean up easily are a must if you're taking it on a plane!


Eyes:

  • Revlon CS e/s quad in Sterling Rose: makes a great but subtle smoky eye. Four beautiful shades of champagne, pink, lilac-grey, and grey-black.
  • L'Oreal Studio e/s quad in Lavender Smokes: this quad looks like Fall; warm golds, brownish-plum, and mauve. It's a perfect group of colors that will transition wonderfully from day to night. (Check back for a full review of this quad, coming soon!).
  • Revlon CS eyeliner in Black: do other eyeliner colors exist? Not for me!
  • L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara: one of my favorite drugstore mascaras. 
  • Revlon Eyelash curler: my lashes don't curl naturally. I totally need help opening the eye up, so I get a lot of use out of this baby.


Face:

  • E.L.F. Studio Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder: just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you shouldn't contour! ;) This is perfect for traveling because your bronzer and blush are conveniently grouped together into one compact.
  • Wet N'Wild 100% Natural Blend Pressed Powder
  • Maybelline SuperStay 24HR Concealer: I'm not interested in bringing a full coverage foundation with me only because I can't imagine wearing a virtual mask while in the desert. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that concealer and a powder finish will hold me over and make my skin presentable during my trip.
  • Cover Girl Cheekers Blush in Pretty Peach: the perfect pinky-coral, "just came in from the beach" color. It'll look great against the tan I plan on getting :)
Lips:

  • N.Y.C. l/g in Sungold Pink: the perfect golden-peach color. A total dupe for NARS's Orgasm l/g. It smells just like the beach, too!
  • Mary Kay l/g in Berry Sparkle: I'm bringing this because I really love the bright pop of raspberry lips against tanned skin.
  • Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush l/g in Strawberry Fizz: Mostly I'm just trying to use this up, but it is a very pretty wash of pale pink.


Brushes:

  • Bare Escentuals Full Flawless Face Coverage Brush
  • E.L.F. Studio Powder Brush
  • Essence of Beauty Concealer Brush
  • Essence of Beauty Eyeliner brush
  • Sephora Professionnel Rounded Crease Brush #13.

What kind of makeup bag do you use when you travel? Do you travel with a lot of makeup, or just the essentials?

3 comments:

  1. I am always interested to see what other ladies travel with! I think it's a great idea to not have your high end, LE items with you. I have lost some while traveling, and it is not worth it to take. Awesome job at pairing it to just the essential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one makeup bag and that's what I take with me. So boring, I know :)
    Have so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have many bag during a traveling.i really enjoy you post.and appreciated.. You always have great information & inspire me as an educator

    ianjohnson

    ReplyDelete