Made Up in Boston

"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." -Oscar Wilde

Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's the end of the world as we know it...

But at least I look cute.


I decided to go with a relatively natural look today. The sun is shining for the first time in days, and a sunny spring day always makes me want to go that one extra inch when doing my makeup. If the sun can be so bright and shiny, there's no reason I shouldn't do the same! :)

This FOTD was pretty easy to pull together. I mixed a few palette shadows together to create something that bordered on pale pink bronze with taupe undertones.

Shadows used:

  • E.L.F. all-over color stick in Lilac (FYI, these make great primers; on their own they make lousy cream shadows)
  • The rose pink from my new Inglot palette
  • MAC Honey Lust
  • Physician's Formula shimmer strips for hazel eyes (review here)
  • Mascara is CG's Lash Blast Fusion
  • Liner is MAC's Technakohl in Graphblack (I killed it on this look. RIP best eyeliner ever :(  )


The lipstick is one of my newer acquisitions. I've had it for a few months now, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm a fan.

This is Revlon's Pink in the Afternoon, well known because it was created specially for Audrey Hepburn. This was apparently her signature lipstick color, and she wore it in almost all of her films, most famously in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".


I ask you: who the hell DOESN'T want to look like Audrey Hepburn? I absolutely do! Unfortunately, I don't think this lipstick is gonna turn me into Holly Golightly any time soon.


Pink in the Afternoon is supposed to be a creme finish lipstick, but there isn't a lot of moisture to this formula. It comes off as more matte, and it leaves my lips feeling dry after only a few minutes of wearing it. It also doesn't spread very well. As for color, the pigmentation is good, but it's also very different on lips than it presents in the tube. Once applied to the lips, there are obvious bright peach and beige undertones that look quite odd against skin with cooler undertones.

I combated this by applying a cooler, dark rose-hued lipgloss over the lipstick. Specifically, I used Rimmel's moisture renew lipgloss in Rose Cocoon. It toned down the peach and brought out the beige, but it's still a bright color nonetheless.

It's not a bad color; in fact, it's very pretty in the tube. I just think it does not do any justice on me. That's always so disappointing: falling in love with a colored sticker, and absolutely being underwhelmed once you've tried it out.

Have you ever had high hopes for a lipstick color, only to be less than impressed once you try it out? How much does the hype of a color play into your impression of it?

And on one last note, here is today's necklace:
I figure if the world really does end today, it's better not to take any chances...

1 comment:

  1. You make me want to play with make-up. Love this sunny look!!
    Haha, I'm sure Kyle loved that necklace ;)

    ReplyDelete